Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Field Work 5/14 - Marcus Obi

I worked with Jacob Turner and Keith Penn with the Quileute Natural Resources and went out in the field. We floated the river finding the places where the fish would lay there fish. Our supplies list included a river boat, rocks, flagging tape, boots, waiters, sun glasses and of course, lunch. We did it to survey if the fish would go back and lay their eggs at the same spot and the survey is done almost every other month.  We also recorded the dead fish carcasses and took samples of the scales. Recording if they returned to the same spot was done with flagging tape and rocks. 

I have learned that QNR do a lot to make sure the fish are safe and they do anything possible to make sure that they are indeed safe. Also, I’ve learned that their job is amazing. I was mainly doing sightseeing but they said “People have to pay to see this, we get paid to see it”. A memory I took away from this experience was that they let me row the boat. I didn’t trust myself because of the rapids but apparently they trusted me. It was an amazing experience and everyone should consider taking this class.


No comments:

Post a Comment